The St. Timothy’s School Science Olympiad team had a fantastic showing in the 2022 Science Olympiad Durham regional competition (Division B). Over 16 local teams competed in the 2-day event.
The first part of the regional competition was held virtually on February 5. The St. Timothy’s team gathered on campus to compete via a live-feed to judges and moderators. The second part was held in person this past Saturday, March 19, at Riverside High School in Durham.
There were fourteen competitors on the St. Timothy’s team: thirteen middle school students as well as STS alumni and veteran Science Olympiad competitor Mac Cobb, a current freshman at Broughton High School.
The awards were announced via YouTube on March 24 at 4:00 p.m., and the St. Timothy’s team gathered on campus for a watch party hosted by Team Coach Wendy Cook.
Overall, the St. Timothy’s team competed in 24 events, placing in the top 4 in 7 of these events. In addition to placing in individual events, the St. Timothy’s team was awarded the Team Spirit Award for their division!
- 3rd place Bottle Rockets: Archer Taylor, Cole Read with Will Tucker building a bottle rocket
- 2nd place Electric Wright Stuff: Will Tucker, Noah Gelb
- 3rd place Experimental Design: Will Tucker, Mac Cobb
- 4th place Green Generation: Jack and Will Markham
- 3rd place Mousetrap Vehicle: Archer Taylor and Joe Johnson with Noah Gelb building the vehicle
- 2nd place Road Scholar: Hale Pulsifer and Mac Cobb
- 1st place Fast Facts Mac Cobb and Joe Johnson
Mac Cobb and Joe Johnson are eligible to compete in the State Science Olympiad Tournament on April 22 and 23 at North Carolina State University.
2022 St. Timothy’s Science Olympiad Team Members:
- Dexter Brickell (8th)
- Riley Bridges (5th)
- Mac Cobb (9th)
- Noah Gelb (6th)
- Dennis Greenway (6th)
- Joe Johnson (6th)
- Jack Markham (8th)
- Will Markham (8th)
- Sophie Newsom (7th)
- Hale Pulsifer (8th)
- Cole Reade (6th)
- Jordan Roe (6th)
- Archer Taylor (6th)
- Will Tucker (7th)