Each year, STS Art Teacher Kim Balentine encourages her seventh and eighth grade students to submit their artwork for consideration by the prestigious Scholastic Art Awards, and this year 16 different submissions from nine of our student artists earned recognition.
Out of more than 2,400 entries reviewed by professional art jurors for the Eastern/Central North Carolina Region, St. Timothy's School students received one Gold Key Award, six Silver Key Awards and nine Honorable Mentions. The Gold and Silver Key winning artwork will be on display at Barton College Art Gallery from February 9-27, 2020. Gold Key artwork will advance to the national competition.
The Scholastic Art Awards program is designed to encourage student achievement, to recognize visual arts teachers, and to emphasize the importance of visual arts in school curriculum.
Student award winners are:
Gold Key Winners
- Ava Spencer (8th grade): Pop, Photography
Silver Key Winners
- Ryan Brizzolara (8th grade): Following Along, Photography and Road Not Taken, Photography
- Robbie Brown (8th grade): High Five, Photography
- Clara D. (7th grade): A Koi Adventure, Sculpture
- Brooks McCall (7th grade): Jewels of the Earth, Photography
- Margaret Raynal (8th grade): Bold Titan, Drawing & Illustration
- Robbie Brown (8th grade): Fury and Stoic, Digital Art and Yawn, Drawing & Illustration
- Brooks McCall (7th grade): Titan Power, Painting
- Alex Percy (8th grade): Buzzing In, Photography and Ripples of Gold, Photography
- Emma Ramey (7th): Circling, Sculpture
- Ava Spencer (8th grade): Searching for the Stars, Photography and The Cathedral, Photography
- Mitchell Webb, (8th grade): Curb Appeal, Photography
Congratulations to our artists!
|Pop by Ava Spencer||High Five by Robbie Brown|
|Road Not Taken by Ryan Brizzolara
||Following Along by Ryan Brizzolara|
|A Koi Adventure by Clara D.||Bold Titan by Margaret Raynal|
|Jewels of the Earth by Brooks McCall|